View of the back of the upper part of Belvedere in Vienna.
The plan for the construction of the Upper Belvedere in its current form replaced the primary idea of the construction of a gloriette ‘‘with a beautiful view of the city’’. The construction work took place between 1717 and 1723. The Upper Belvedere primarily had a representative function at the time of the Prince and served as an imperial painting gallery from the second half of 1770’s. For this purpose, the paintings were brought from Stallberg to the Upper Belvedere after 1776, where they were accessible to the public.
Today the Belvedere is a museum.